Jeff Morton - Owner and President of Shake A Paw
| Born and raised in Central NJ, Jeffrey Morton has owned dogs and cats his whole life. From a Golden Retriever/Cocker Spaniel mix as a child, to an Irish Setter as a teen, to Old English Sheepdogs, Saint Bernards and French Bulldogs as an adult.
After attending college for Business Management, Jeff went to work in the retail and electronics field. After 10 years of working in corporate structure, Jeff ventured out on his own, fueled by his love of dogs, opening Shake A Paw in 1992. He expanded the original Green Brook store in 2000 and in 2006, opened a state of the art, 8,000 sq. ft. Superstore in Union.
Jeffrey owned two Old English Sheepdogs in the early 1990's and learned dog grooming and obedience training. Jeff also started breeding Saint Bernards and doing breed rescue, which is finding homes for dogs given up by their owners. At one time, Jeff owned eleven Saint Bernards, two Sheepdogs and two cats! Many weekends were spent at dog shows throughout the northeast, competing for AKC Championships and meeting with breeders. Jeff owned and trained the #1 Obedience Titled Saint Bernard in 1996, Ch. Lil' Jon's Sigmond Freud, CD, CGC. A major highlight of his career was participating at the world famous Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show at Madison Square Garden in New York City 2 years in a row. Jeff brings his years of experience to work for you, from the whelping box at home, to the competitive dog show ring in New York City.
Jeff recently was Certified in New Jersey as an Animal Cruelty Investigator and Animal Control Officer, and the Shake A Paw Rescue and Adoption Center, a New Jersey Non Profit Corporation, will begin operations in September of 2012.
Jeff and family currently have three French Bulldogs, an old Golden Retriever and live in Monmouth County, NJ.
Past & Present Professional Affiliations
Shake A Paw is also a contributor and sponsor of over 20 animal welfare orgainzations, community youth groups and local charities including:
- President, Shake A Paw, 1992-Present
- President, Shake A Paw Franchising, LLC., 2004-Present
- President, Shake A Paw Rescue and Adoption Center Inc. A New Jersey Non-Profit Corporation, 2012
- President, Bertinoro Kennels, 1993-1998
- President, Save Our Saints (SOS), Saint Bernard Rescue of New Jersey 1993-1998
- Member, Saint Bernard Club of America, Parent Club
- Member, Northern New Jersey Saint Bernard Club
- Member, Town and Country Dog Training Club, Union NJ
- Member, Italian Saint Bernard Club, Revana, Italy
- Dog Show Co-Chairman, Northern New Jersey Saint Bernard Club, 1996
- Featured on Good Morning America with Ch. Lil Johns Sigmund Freud CD, CGC.
- Featured on The Learning Channel, 2003-2004
- Judge, Garden State All-Terrier Club, Pre-Novice, Novice A and Graduate Novice Obedience
- Judge, Sussex Hills Kennel Club Obedience Match, Obedience Pre-Novice, Novice A and Graduate Novice.
- Member, Better Business Bureau of New Jersey 1996
- Member, Somerset County Chamber of Commerce 2002-2003
- Member, Somerset County Chamber of Commerce, 2003-2004
- Member and Contributor, Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council, Washington DC, 1993-Present
- Member, New Jersey State Legislative Advisory Board, American Canine Association, 2003-Present
- Member National Legislative Advisory Board, American Canine Association, 2003-Present
- Primary Sponsor of Somerset County's first Police K-9 Dog, Owned and trained by the South Bound Brook Police Department, 2001-2008
- Sponsor of Somerset County Sheriff's Office K-9 Unit, 2004-2008
- New Jersey Certified Animal Control Officer - 2012
- New Jersey Certified Animal Cruelty Investigator - 2012
- Plainfield Humane Society
- Make A Wish Foundation Of New Jersey
- Bide-A-Wee Home Association
- Furry Friends Youth R.B.A.
- Kindred Spirits Animal Rescue
- Green Brook PTO
- Dunellen High School
- Amsterdam Elementary School
- College of New Jersey
- Summit Educational Foundation
- Muscular Dystrophy Association
- A Life for Animals
- North Shore Animal League
- Watchung Hills Regional High School PTO
- Green Brook Fire Department
- Green Brook Ice Hockey
- Green Brook Little League
- Dunellen ROARS
- Somerset County VoTech
- New Jersey Symphony Orchestra